Feb 16, 2011

Loving Green Smoothies

Before last week I would've told you that there is probably no way you'd ever catch me drinking a smoothie that was green. I had heard of them, but I thought they were probably all vegetabley in flavor, which sounded super gross. The way I see it, this is my life, and I will eat food that looks, smells, and feels good to me. Green smoothies had not been on that list. 

But then Roni Noone posted her video recipe for a green smoothie, and I was intrigued. First of all, they're not all vegetabley in flavor--this has bananas, yogurt, and honey! Also, it was beautifully bright in color, and most notably, she had gotten her 5 year old to drink them! When she says in the video that you don't even taste the spinach, I knew I had to try it. 

I made one last week: 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1tsp honey, 1tsp vanilla, 1 banana, and 2 cups of spinach, and 6 cubes of ice. It came out beautiful, and tasted like a vanilla banana smoothie. I gave some to the kids, and Zene at first didn't want to try it. So weird, because that very instant Yo Gabba Gabba was on the tv, and they started singing one of our favorite songs: "Try it! You'll like it!" He did, and he liked it okay. Tayan did too, but neither of them finished the tiny servings I gave them. The idea is growing on them though, and I think if I include them in the making process next time, they'll be more enthusiastic. 

I made one yesterday with frozen strawberries added in, and it was even more delicious, but it lost its bright green color for a darker, browner green. This morning I made one that had more mature spinach in it than before, and it definitely needed a sweet kick to it, because I could taste spinach. 

I'm loving it though, and it's been great to drink my breakfast on my long commute to work. So in the immortal words of DJ Lance, "Try it! You'll like it!" 

0 comments:

Post a Comment