Jan 11, 2010

Couch to 5k Training, here I come!

I had been feeling good today: rockin' some new smaller jeans and a sweater that used to be too small, clean hair, small-calorie yet very filling breakfast and lunch. Even my right foot hadn't been hurting today. I was walking the hallways with ease of stride and relative tightness of belly. Feeling a slight burn behind my knees from Yoga stretches last night. Altogether, ridin' high. Of course though, feeling the usual Monday not-so-much-wanting-to-go-to-the-gym feeling, which is normal for me after a nice relaxing weekend. Knowing this, I decided to push through and go the gym anyway. Today I didn't make it an option for myself. I was going to the gym, period.

While walking the short way across our lot to the gym building, I spontaneously decided to get on the treadmill today, and do a day of Couch to 5k training. For some reason, this didn't seem at all like a challenging thought. I've been exercising like crazy on the elliptical machine, surely running with intermittent walking throughout for 30 minutes would pose no huge hurdle, right?

When I stepped into the gym, I went to the treadmill and turned it on. First time I've ever done that. Went to change, started my Couch to 5k app, and went to town. I did Day 2 of the training, which is a 5 minute warmup, then alternating 90 seconds walking and 60 seconds jogging, with a 5 minute cool down.

I noticed right away that Day 2 of Couch to 5k training was going to be no problem for me to accomplish. Last time I did Day 2 was back in... October?... and I was so exhausted by the end that I had to walk through the last two 60 second runs. This time, no problem at all. I felt almost silly that I was even doing Day 2. Could've started on maybe Day 3 or 4.

So, there I go. I've done it. I'm going to see how my foot feels tonight, and hopefully I won't have any major trouble out of it. If it's fine, on Wednesday I'll do Day 3. What's to stop me? Nothing at all. If I could do a 5k by this summer, I will be ...well, it will be awesome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment