Sep 3, 2012

Thank God for Paid Holidays

Essentially it is a Monday morning. I slept till 7:30, and just rolled outta bed ten minutes ago.  Other than trying to catch the newest chain restaurant at a less busy than usual time, to eat lunch, I have no concrete plans for the day. Part of the reason I laid in bed half asleep for nearly an hour is because I wasn't sure what I want to do next. Here are the activities I have been considering for the morning:

  1. Go to an amusement park (not really an option; too far/expensive)
  2. Do laundry (much more grounded, but fun...?)
  3. Go swimming (meh)
  4. Drink coffee and watch a movie (nice, but usually leads to an unfulfilling day)
And the more healthy choices:
  1. Make a nice omelet and clean the kitchen for cooking later
  2. Do my Burpees Body Transformation Challenge workout, or
  3. Go for a run.
It looks like I've decided to do none of these things, and enjoy sitting on the quiet porch and pontificate to my iPad about things I want/ought to be doing. Since I'm here, I should do my best at the choice I've apparently made.

I thank God and the federal government for paid holidays. Do you know some people have to give up money from their usual paycheck to enjoy a Labor Day holiday? Sure, they don't have to go to work that day, but they have to actually pay for it, and even they still love holidays! 

In our time right now of much traveling and uncounted stresses, we choose to treat this holiday like any other Sunday, minus the opportunity to feel like we ought to go to church. I think this is a great way to approach the day off, and really helps Tuesday feel like Monday when we go back to our busy routine tomorrow...

...but my, this morning is perfect for a run. I know that I have one in me, but somehow that's not good enough. If I run today, will I run again this week? Will I do a 5k in a couple of months? Will I still be a Runner next year? Somehow, all this matters to me as I consider how to start this day off right. I love myself, but sometimes I just wish I could take it easy on me. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment