Apr 21, 2010

Bryan On Board!

I don't think I mentioned about a month ago that Bryan had another kidney stone. Yeah, he did. Thankfully, it came and went very quickly; it started in the middle of the night, and in the morning he passed the thing. Amazing, really, but he had spent the whole night up and thinking "please God not again!"

So, the next day he went to the urologist, and asked him as plain as can be: What can be done to keep this from ever happening again? He even said "I will do anything." The doc must've realized Bryan was serious, because he recommended a few serious changes: eat less salt, eat less meat, and drink 3 quarts of water with the juice of an entire lemon squeezed into each one.

And folks, Bryan's doing that! He really is... and water with ~3 tbsp of lemon juice in it, I have found, is quite nasty. He drinks it though, and that's pretty much all he drinks. He was feeling pretty low about the whole situation though after that, wondering what he was going to do with himself, and how he could live his life in such a way as to prevent another kidney stone from ever coming.

Personally, I know nothing about kidney stones, but my only advice was to, I believe I worded it like "Well, maybe you should consider living a healthier lifestyle, all the way around." After a few moments' discussion, he decided he'd give it a go. Can't hurt, right?

Well my droogies, he's doing it! I am so so proud of my husband. He is drinking his lemon water all the time, he has absolutely no soda or caffeine of any kind, and he's using an app on his phone to count every calorie (and milligram of sodium) that he consumes, and to log all activities, too. It's amazing, and kindof still a shock to me. It's so cool to see him discovering all these things like I did, like "Hey, I can't believe pudding is only 80 calories per cup," and that bbq'd chicken is almost nearly as wonderful as bbq'd pork.

I feel like God just dropped one of the biggest presents ever in my lap. "Here ya go, Laura. Your journey to a healthy you just got 10x easier, and you're going to have a healthy long-lived husband to boot. You're welcome."

Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment